Sorority raises $10,000 for Women’s Heart Health

Red Dress Gala
    Anna Piazza (left) and Lauren Jones (right) take a break from the table to smile for the camera.

Chico’s State sorority Alpha Phi hosted a Red Dress Gala Friday night and raised over $10,000 for their philanthropy, Women’s Heart Health. The event was held at the Chico Elks Lodge where over 375 guests filled the room and the active members of the Alpha Phi sorority were asked to wear red dresses.

They hired a casino party planning team where they put up casino tables to entertain the guests. There was also a silent auction with more then 50 baskets with donations from Trucker, Sierra Nevada Brewery, Napa Wine Baskets, and donations from the parents of the sorority members.

The Elks Lodge provided food and drinks for the guests and donated 50 cents to the sorority for every drink that was purchased. The sorority also had desserts donated from Denine’s Cupcakes located in downtown Chico.

The Interim Director of Nursing at the American River College, Susan Peterson, made an appearance at the event and spoke to the guest about the symptoms, statistics, and preventions of heart disease.

“Every single Alpha Phi chapter has held this event… its a national event that all of the other chapters put on to help raise money for Women’s Heart Health,” said Alpha Phi’s President, Rachael Kapp.

They also received help from Sigma Pi members Myles Amitin and Mikey Halliday, the emcees of the night and leading the live auctions.

“After the event is over and the money is collected, Alpha Phi donates 30 percent of the earnings to the Enloe Cardiac Unit”, Red Dress Chairman, Emilia Splitter said.

Alpha Phi has held this event annually for many years and has been their most successful philanthropy event.

Katherine Feaster can be reached at [email protected] or @katfeaster on Twitter