Transfer students to Chico State at all time high

Transfer student rates are up 25 percent at Chico State from last spring Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

Classes have been in session for less than a week, and Chico State already has something new and different in this semester – a 25 percent increase in the number of transfer students from last spring.

Reasons for students deciding to transfer to Chico State have ranged from degree programs offered, to students loving the campus, or simply just wanting to meet new people.

Jeff Baida, a junior accounting major, transferred both for the accounting program at Chico State and to meet other students.

“I wanted to get acquainted with the students and be able to hang around them, study with them,” said Baida. “Also [the accounting program] saves money instead of getting a masters. When I saw that I was impressed with Chico State.”

Peter Martinez, Associate Director of the Office of Admissions, says the department is developing more strategies to collaborate and partner with the surrounding community colleges.

That collaboration has proven more successful giving Chico State a record number of transfer students this spring.

Michelle Zhu can be reached at [email protected] or @mmichellezhuu on Twitter.