Baseball team wins opening day with a walk-off

Tony Roque jumps high to catch the ball during a scrimmage on Jan. 21. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Chico State men’s baseball team won its home opener at Nettleton Stadium against the Menlo College Oaks with a walk-off in the bottom of the 9th inning.

This win kicks off men’s baseball with a pre-conference record of 1-0.

Junior pitcher, Clayton Gelfand, dominated the strike zone with strong and precise pitching. The Oaks had a tough time getting on base as a result.

A great diving play by junior outfielder, Cody Snider, a transfer from the University of San Francisco, highlighted the defense. With the combination of strong pitching and fast defense, the Wildcats held the Oaks scoreless.

Several times the Wildcats threatened, but failed to score.

Stuart Bradley, a junior pitcher from Yuba City Community College, came in at the top of the 8th and kept the Oaks from scoring.

Both teams played consistent defense, resulting in a tied game at 0-0 at the bottom of the 9th inning.

An errant throw by the Menlo College third baseman pulled the first baseman off the bag, allowing Chico State runners to progress to first and third.

Dillon Kelley, a junior transfer from College of the Sequoias, walked and gave the Wildcats a bases loaded situation.

With bases loaded and two outs, Snider sent a chopper up the middle and beat the throw to first. Senior Ben Gamba ran home and the game was won with a walk-off at 1-0.

Chico State baseball faces Menlo College again on Sunday, Jan. 31 in a doubleheader at Nettleton Stadium.

Anna Baytosh can be reached at [email protected] or @anna_baytosh on Twitter.