Lectures to help graduating international students

Cindy Mckay helping international students decided what to with their future Photo credit: Yang Dai

Yang Dai

International students fretting over what to do after graduating need to worry no more.

On March 1 and 4, lectures are being held at the student center to help students figure out their post collegiate careers.

Started on Feb. 23, the Chico State Office of International Education began to give guidance lectures on Optional Practical Training specifically for international students who are going to graduate at the end of this semester.

“The lecture in this semester consists of two parts. One is from 1 – 1:50 p.m. on March 1; another is from 12:00 – 12:50 p.m. on March 1. Graduates with interest can attend the lecture at the proper time,” said Cindy Mckay, an International Student Adviser.

The lectures are given at the Student Services Center room 306 and aim to help graduating international students find jobs in the United States.

“If you have any question, please contact me or James in International Education Student Services Center 440,” Mckay said.

Yang Dai can be reached at [email protected] or @YangDaiVip on Twitter.

One Response to “Lectures to help graduating international students”

1. Lance Johnson on February 28th, 2016 11:59 am

This is a wonderful service because being an international student isn’t easy, given our complex culture and language. Assistance must come from numerous sources to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. A new award-winning worldwide book/ebook that reaches out to help anyone coming to the US is “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” It is used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors. It also identifies “foreigners” who became successful in the US and how they’ve contributed to our society, including students.
    A chapter on education explains how to be accepted to an American university and cope with a confusing new culture, friendship process and daunting classroom differences. Some stay after graduation. It has chapters that explain how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
    It also has chapters that identify the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
    Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and informative books to extend a cultural helping hand so we all have a win-win situation. Good luck to all wherever you study!

• Lectures to help graduating international students

Body found at Kendall Hall, police investigation ongoing

Environmental organization celebrates 43 years in community

New science building breaks ground

Chaos on the corner of 20th and MLK

Organizers protest the Women’s Resource Clinic, call for reproductive rights

Kasey Reynolds hosts #StompOutHate ice cream social