Remember your Chico State pride

Photo credit: Grant Garnsey

Photo credit: Grant Garnsey

Julie Ramos

As a senior in college, it’s weird to think that just a few years ago I was a senior in high school. When I think back to the most nerve-racking yet exciting time, I remember being in high school and applying to prospective colleges.

I remember sitting with my mom and anxiously filling out application after application. I remember checking the mailbox first thing when I got home every day in hopes of a college acceptance letter. I remember the happiest and most relieving moment of opening my acceptance letter from California State University, Chico.

After committing to Chico State, I, like many others, visited the campus and arranged my move-in plans. My parents took me to the Wildcat store to get my first Chico gear. I picked out a sweatshirt and a few tank tops to wear around campus and the WREC; I felt so official with my new collegiate clothes. I remember walking around the dorms and seeing all the other freshman with Chico State memorabilia as well.

Now I am halfway through my senior year at Chico State. As I have walked through our campus for the last three and half years, it has been interesting and slightly shocking to see the variety of colleges represented here on our Chico State campus.

While walking to class on any given day of the semester, I easily see at least 10 different Chico State students wearing clothes for a variety of other colleges.

Specifically, I have seen a lot of Arizona, Colorado and Oregon. But why? If you’re enrolled as a Chico State student, walking on the Chico State campus, attending Chico State classes and events, it strikes me as odd to be representing a school other than our own.

Maybe the people wearing different college apparel are wearing their first choice college option. Or maybe they have close family that is alumni from there. Or maybe it’s their hometown school or team. But nonetheless, I think it’s weird and I’m sure other students feel the same way. To be completely honest, it kind of bothers me.

If you go to Chico State, you chose Chico. I think that you should be proud and represent your school with pride. If this isn’t your school of choice, then why not just transfer? As a senior, my time here at Chico State has flown by. I am so thankful for this college giving me the best four years of my life and I wear my Chico State Wildcat apparel with pride.

So next time you are getting ready for school, I urge you to really think about what you want to wear. Try to think back and reflect on being back in high school and waiting for that acceptance letter you eventually came to accept. Remember that Chico State chose you. You should choose Chico State back.

Julie Ramos can be reached at [email protected] or @julie_ramoss on Twitter.