• Safe Space offers a helping hand to those in need in the community. Image generated by Firefly AI by Heather Taylor on March 28.

Celebrating a decade of shelter, adaptability with Safe Space

6,000 LED street lamps will light up Chico

PG&E is making Chico shine a bit brighter by providing over 6,000 street lamps in the city. Photo credit: Yang Dai

Chico will replace lamps in many streets with LED energy-saving lamps in the next four to six weeks in order to ensure more brilliant and energy-saving nights in Chico.

The Pacific Gas and Electric Company will provide the lights and head the project. The company is investing more than $1.1 million in the next four years and is expected to save $243,183 on power supply.

Erik Gustafson, head of the Chico branch of PG&E, said this plan would save more than $33,000 a year on maintenance cost of light bulbs and can ensure bulbs will be maintained for the next 20 years.

As for this energy-saving street lamp project, PG&E will also provide related financial planning in addition to changing bulbs, which will ensure that energy-saving lamps are used in Chico and the costs and financial burden of changing street lamps are reduced as much as possible.

“Due to the energy-saving characteristics of LED, it is expected to save more than 500,000 kw/h per year for Chico, which is equivalent to 831,000 pounds of CO2 emission,” Gustafson said.

For additional information about this project visit the PG&E website.

Yang Dai can be reached at [email protected] or @YangDaiVip on Twitter.