Republican victory office opens in Chico, greeted with protests

Persons of all ages are welcomed, although the majority of volunteers/interns are graduates and current students Photo credit: Katia Berg

Katia Berg

A Republican Victory Election Office opened in Chico on Saturday. The office, located on Mangrove Avenue, saw many protestors carrying anti-Trump signs on opening day. In return, Republicans counter-protested with anti-Hillary signs.

“It was a peaceful protest, but not at all surprising,” Jack Breuker, a Chico State student involved with the California College Republicans and the Chico State Republicans, said. “A lot of people like to associate ‘all’ Republicans as Trump supporters.”

The new office according to Breuker has no Trump administration funding.

“Opening an HQ here is not a new model,” Saulo Londono, campaign manager for the Republican North State victory headquarters, said. “The victory office has been tried and tested and guess what? It worked.”

Londono insists that victory offices are effective, and he refers to Andrew Coolidge and Reanette Fillmer, Republican council members of Chico who were elected on Nov. 4, 2014.

“I’d like to think the victories of those council members were thanks to our efforts,” Londono said. “And that’s only one piece of evidence that reflects the effectiveness of the Victory HQ.”

Victory headquarters are not uncommon throughout the state during election years. In bigger cities like Los Angeles, these offices are open year-round. It’s a different story for the North State Republicans. It took months of planning, receiving donations and coalition to get the center open.

Although a good amount of employees are volunteers, internships are also offered through Chico State. If one were to volunteer long enough and be willing to commit, an opportunity for paid employment could be possible. A large number of Chico Sate graduates continue to help and work for the organization.

“Our volunteers are mostly college and high school students,” Londono said. “But we need more younger voices–there isn’t enough.”

North State Republican Victory HQ is located on 1058 Mangrove Ave., Chico.

For Internship opportunities and general questions call (530)636-2GOP or email [email protected]

Katia Berg can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @katiaboli

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Republican victory office opens in Chico, greeted with protests”

1. Leon S. Kennedy on August 29th, 2016 2:15 pm

They claim not to be Trump supporters, but I see a big Trump sign in the photo. Some republicans may not like it, but Trump is the face of the Republican party. The American Nazi party has endorsed Trump because the Nazis and Trump share the same viewpoint on immigration. See: http://www.bustle.com/articles/177895-the-american-nazi-partys-leader-endorses-donald-trump-for-a-reason-that-will-make-you-worry

2. Dan Robbins on February 27th, 2017 8:49 am

Hey Leon…….Adolf Hitler was a gun controller Trump is anti gun control, Stalin was a gun controller, Trump is not a gun controller…..Hitler and Stalin both loved abortion,Trump does not.Adolf Hitler was not American,nor was Stalin, Trump is an American,the American people voted for Donald Trump to be OUR president. This is America. I love America, I do not love Trump but I voted for him, I do not believe everything he says , but I voted for him….You on the other hand would probably believe anything that your President of choice would say…..You may have more in common with nazi’s than you think

• Republican victory office opens in Chico, greeted with protests

School children cry out, demand mass pumpkin executions for science

Chico City Council Election Guide: Meet the eight candidates running for three council seats

Unemployment rates in Butte County drop to all time low