Volleyball splits doubleheader

The Chico State volleyball team sets the ball during practice. Photo credit: Jordan Jarrell

Chico State swept the Holy Names University Hawks in the second game of their double header on Sept. 2. The 3-0 win came after losing to the Dominican University Penguins in the first round of the Route 92 Showdown. The recent win propels the ‘Cats overall season record to 1-1.

Chico State opened with an offensive barrage in the first set, forcing the Hawks to use both of their timeouts. The ‘Cats took an early 14-4 lead in the first set, after scoring 10 consecutive points. Chico State was able to run away with the set after scoring another consecutive 10 points, giving them a 25-7 win.

The dominance by the ‘Cats in the first set was the result of the 11 errors by the Hawks, and the three service ace’s by Chico State. Senior setter Torey Thompson had two aces in the first set, while junior defensive setter Shannon Cotton had one.

The Hawks were able to score the first points of the second set, but Chico State tied the game because of the Hawks bad sets and game errors.

While the second set remained close at the beginning, the ‘Cats were able to score five consecutive times, a deficit Holy Names was unable to overcome.

The ‘Cats won the second set 25-16, as freshman middle hitter Kim Wright was able to score five kills. The success on offense from Wright gave Chico State the advantage, as they entered the third set leading the game 2-0.

The ‘Cats closed out the game by winning their third set 25-14, and continued their offensive scoring streak with seven consecutive points. Junior outside hitter Anna Baytosh led the set, made seven kills, and a total of 10 in the game.

Chico State will be competing in the third round of the Route 92 Showdown against Notre Dame University on Sept. 3.

Key Players:

First year middle hitter Kim Wright:

• 13 Kills
  • 1 Assist
  • 1 Dig

Junior outside hitter Anna Baytosh:

• 10 Kills
  • 1 Dig

Senior setter Torey Thompson

• 4 Kills
  • 29 Assists
  • 12 Digs

Gabriel Moreno can be reached at [email protected], or on Twitter @GabeSports3.