CSU requests $238 million for next year

The California State University system is asking for additional funds from the state for the 2014-2015 school year.

The CSU’s total budget for the next school year is estimated to be $2.47 billion, with $238 million coming from the state budget, according to a presentation by the CSU.

In September, the CSU requested $250 million from the state, but that request has since been lowered, said Mike Uhlenkamp, a spokesman for the CSU.

“After reviewing it in discussion in the past trustees meeting, we decided to lower it to $237.6 million from the state general fund,” Uhlenkamp said.

The budget request focuses on funding to meet increasing enrollment and student success and completion initiatives. It assumes no tuition fee increases for the 2014-15 academic year, said Stephanie Thara, a spokeswoman for the CSU.

To meet the targeted enrollment rate, the CSU is asking for $75 million from the state budget, as well as using $85 million in tuition money, Uhlenkamp said.

The CSU’s budget request to the state is well beyond what the system received last year, Uhlenkamp said.

In the last budget request, the CSU asked for $372 million from the state general fund, Uhlenkamp said. The system received $125.1 million.

State-funded support for the CSU system is expected to go up by $1,935 per student by the 2016-17 school year, a systemwide increase of more than $19 billion, according to the governor’s May budget revision.

The governor is expected to submit the approved state budget in either December or January.

Aubrey Crosby can be reached at [email protected] or @aubreycrosby on Twitter.