Board reviews ongoing academic programs, policies

Infographic by Robert Harris Source: Cal State University
Infographic by Robert Harris
Source: Cal State University

While the California State University board of trustees was working on putting out a budget proposal at its meeting Nov. 5-6, the board also assessed many programs that affect hundreds of thousands of students, from those currently enrolled to other future students still at the K-12 level.

Here are the highlights:

The early assessment program

The early assessment program is the CSU’s initiative for improving the preparation of high school students for college, according to the CSU’s committee on educational policy.  Since 2006, when the tests were voluntarily given out, the number of high school juniors prepared for collegiate level work has steadily risen to more than 39,000 students.

SB 1440: Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act aims to create an easier way for students to transfer from community and junior colleges to CSU’s, according to the system’s committee on educational policy. The senate bill would allow students to transfer to CSU and University of California baccalaureate programs with only 60 units and graduate with 120 units.

Campus fees and tuition fees

Every student pays campus fees to maintain services such as student health centers, facility use, parking and housing maintenance. Chico State’s 2013-14 campus fee was $1,500, up $32 from the previous year, according to the CSU committee on finance. The highest campus fee rate is at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, which charges $3,252, while Cal State Monterey Bay charges $491, the lowest in the system.

Lottery funding

Chico State will be receiving $1.5 million to pay for administration, academic instruction, information technology and scholarships, according to a report issued by the system’s committee on finance. The rest of the money used for these areas will come from student tuition.

Legislative Update 

The CSU and the California State Students Association have both released their opinions on upcoming legislative decisions.

Assembly Bill 1241: This bill would extend Cal Grant entitlements by one year.

CSU: No official position

CSSA: In favor

Assembly Bill 1285: The bill would allow 25 percent of first-year students to receive Cal Grant B awards.

CSU: No official position

CSSA: In favor

Assembly Bill 46: This would allow ex-trustees to stand in for a trustee member in a CSU board of trustees meeting and vote in their absence.

CSU: Oppose

CSSA: Oppose

Aubrey Crosby can be reached at [email protected] or @aubreycrosby on Twitter.