Smoking on a budget: MacGyver style

Photo credit: Franky Renteria

When trying to get lit on a student budget or feeling stranded without a piece, improvising is the only option. Here are a couple tried and true DIY projects every stoner should be able to create in the event of being left with a bunch of weed and a lighter but nothing to smoke out of.

DSC02286_web.jpg
Photo credit: Franky Renteria

The Apple
Materials:
• Apple
• Pen, or something sharp to carve holes

A classic yet underrated method of smoking that will get you lifted before an episode of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” is over. The apple is easy to dispose of and even easier to make. Only an apple and a pen are needed. First, remove the stem, and using the pen, poke a hole at the top by driving it into the core of the apple. Next, make a horizontal hole until it reaches the other side. Finally, pack the preferred herb at the top in the indent where the stem was. Light – inhale and enjoy.

DSC02254.jpg
Some say money doesn't grow on trees...well apples do. Get yourself a smoking tool. Photo credit: Franky Renteria

The Can
Materials:
• Aluminum can
• Pocket knife, or something sharp enough to cut/poke holes

Although this is an unhealthy and somewhat unsafe alternative to most DIY smoking devices, it will get the job done when desperate. First, find an empty aluminum can and make a small hole on the side. Next, make a dent around the hole to create a place for the reefer. Finally, turn the can sideways while lighting the kush to inhale from the mouth opening in the can. Voila – being high is a success.

Gravity Bong:
Materials:
• Plastic two-liter bottle
• Wrench socket
• Pen, or something sharp enough to poke holes
• Water

Since this DIY apparatus might be world changing, this one is not for the faint of heart, but instead for the experienced smoker. First, find an empty two-liter bottle and melt the cap until you can tightly push a wrench socket through a hole. Second, poke a hole in the bottom of the bottle. It should be small enough so you can plug it with your finger. Next, fill the bottle with water while plugging the hole and pack the wrench socket with ganja. Finally, screw the cap on, light the weed, release your finger and watch gravity work its magic. The bottle will fill with smoke as the water empties from the hole. Take off the cap and clear the chamber. At this point, it’s best to already have snacks on hand because there will soon be a serious case of the munchies.