Trashy side of party culture

Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Kendall George

As school-life and the hustle and bustle of classes start to get into a routine, weekend plans can seem like the only way to stay sane.

You might be going hiking, on a date with that hot guy from English, or maybe sleeping your worries away. A lot of us would have plans to hit downtown, catch up, drink beer, and dance it out to some Gucci Mane.

Yes, party culture is a thing, and it’s not rare to find a place to go out on Friday night. However, there has been a recent Chico State trend, that if were up to me, would not be a thing: littering.

We are a top rated environmentally friendly campus with a conscious community of students, or so we would think. Yet Chico State students still throw our Tacos Tonaya on the ground while walking to Rileys and don’t show up to court after trashing a campsite. This is not okay.

Once classes end, adult responsibilities go flying out the window with them. As soon as we go out we forget that the town, the streets, the community of Chico are not trash cans. Our actions outside of the university reflect and damage our reputation inside of it.

Yes, this doesn’t apply to everyone. There are many people here, who come to this school because of its sustainability practices. The great thing about our students is that we are social, we are driven, want to have a good time and we take care of the environment.

However, in a personal Twitter poll, 45 percent of students find themselves more likely to litter when going out. This was only a small sample size. It’s safe to assume that a survey done at a larger scale wouldn’t show much difference.

kendallTwitter.jpg

Twitter poll showcasing littering trends.

Littering is horrible for the environment. People can step on broken glass and cut their feet, animals eat the waste and die from malnutrition, starvation, and blocked intestines.

We have all seen those pictures of ducks with their heads caught in soda plastic. Trash attracts insects like mosquitos, which can carry diseases like Lyme disease and the Zika virus. Plus, it’s just plain ugly.

Littering is not just annoying to see when walking around the streets, it’s also very illegal. It can lead to a 1000$ fine, and that’s only for first-time offenders.

Along with that, clean up duties are a part of the penalty as well. Surely you don’t want to be seen cleaning up trash in front of that hot guy from English.

It’s fun to go out on a Friday night. It might be fun to crush an empty beer can on your head and throw it up into the air while screaming at the top of your lungs. Just make sure that when you’re done, just pick it up. Don’t be trashy.

Kendall George can be reached at opinioneditor.com or @kendallmgeorge on Twitter.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Trashy side of party culture”

1. Anon on August 29th, 2017 11:20 am

Cracking cold ones with the boys… And then seeing how far you can throw the empties…

2. Chase Beauregard on August 30th, 2017 8:45 pm

Binge-drinking regularly, negatively impacting the physical and mental wellbeing of yourself and others, and solidifying stereotypes about our school and town as a hub for degenerate behavior is A-OK. But you better not throw any cans on the ground!

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

• Trashy side of party culture

Trashy side of party culture