Men’s basketball team hosts basketball youth clinic

Pizza, prizes and basketball instruction. There aren’t many places where children can find such a wonderful combination, but at the Chico State Basketball Clinic on Dec. 15, that’s exactly what they’ll get.

Hosted by the talented Chico State men’s basketball team and run by assistant coaches Chris Cobb and Jordan Jones, local youth aged 5-13 are invited to participate in the event, which takes place from 1-5 p.m. at Acker Gym and costs only $40.

Corey Silverstrom, a freshman guard for the Chico State basketball team who’s worked at previous camps, said the camp not only provides basketball instruction, but life lessons as well.

“The camp benefits the youth by giving them something fun to do and also gets them active,” Silverstrom said. “Off the court it helps the kids because they see how we treat and interact with them. Hopefully it wears off on them and shows them how to treat their friends and people around them.”

The clinic certainly doesn’t lack in basketball instruction, but it’s important to make it fun as well, Silverstrom said.

“We play various fun games with the kids, like sharks and minnows,” he said. “We also do dribbling drills and have them play in five-on five games after. It’s a fun learning experience that teaches the kids more than just basketball.”

Former Wildcat guard and Chico State graduate Damario Sims said he participated in camps all the time during his career. The camp really benefits the children because it allows them to navigate around children their age outside of school, Sims said.

“We stress team play, fun and academics, along with skill,” Sims said. “Always put the team’s best interest in mind and remember it’s a game and have fun.

Kids at a young age are easily influenced and having a positive role model to look up to can be beneficial. Filled with student-athletes who take time out of their busy schedules to participate in the camp, children get the chance to interact with positive influences in a fun atmosphere.

The camp is a great way for kids to learn the fundamentals of basketball in a friendly environment, Jones said.

“We go through warmup drills with them and we’ll break down the fundamentals and make sure their footwork is correct,” he said. “Our athletes are here every minute of camp and it’s a great way for kids to learn the game of basketball.”

Brett Appley can be reached at [email protected] or @BrettAppley on Twitter