Following Gilham’s no no, Wildcats offense provides the boost in game two

The Wildcats softball team celebrate their second win and pitcher Naomi Monahan’s, middle, save.   Celebrating with her is pitcher Haley Gillham, far right, who pitched a no hitter in the earlier game. Photo credit: Martin Chang

The Wildcats softball team celebrate their second win and pitcher Naomi Monahan’s, middle, save. Celebrating with her is pitcher Haley Gillham, far right, who pitched a no hitter in the earlier game. Photo credit: Martin Chang

Noah Enns

The Chico State softball team took both games of the doubleheader against Cal State Monterey Bay Friday. The Wildcats took game one by a score of a 4-0 behind Haley Gilham’s first career no-hitter and game two by a score of 6-5.

The no-hitter put Gilham’s record at 10-1 and six shutouts on the season.

The Wildcats got the scoring started in the second inning with a single by Claire Wayne. Wayne drove in two runs on the RBI hit. Wayne would then score later in the inning off a single by Megan Bowley followed by an error.

The Wildcats added one more run in the fifth inning. Cyrena Taylor would drive in Ari Marsh on a hit up the middle.

The Wildcats went on to win the game 4-0 with big performances by Gilham and Wayne.

Game two of the doubleheader was started and ended by pitcher Naomi Monahan. Monahan pitched 5.1 innings, picking up her eighth win on the season. Monahan left the game in the fourth inning but re-entered the game in the seventh inning to finish the job.

Cyrena Taylor got the scoring started for the Wildcats as she drove in Karli Skowrup while Taylor was thrown out at third base trying to stretch a double into a triple.

The Wildcats added one more run in the third inning by way of the long by shortstop Wendy Cardinali. The home run was Cardinali’s fourth on the season.

WendyCardinaliRsize.jpg

Infielder Wendy Cardinali hits the first of two home runs hit by the Wildcats against Cal State Monterey Bay. Photo credit: Martin Chang

Bailey Akins would add on another by way of the long ball in the fourth inning of play. The home run put the Wildcats up 3-0 in the game and was Akins team leading sixth home run on the year.

“I just got out of a little slump and I think that my mentality right now is if I’m going to miss, I’m going to miss hard and if I’m going to hit it, I’m going to hit it hard,” said Akins. That is exactly what she did, hitting a deep home run to left field.

BaileyAkinsResize.jpg

Bailey Akins watches as her team leading sixth home run soars in game two of Friday's doubleheader. Photo credit: Martin Chang

Monterey would battle back hard, tying the game in fifth inning with three runs of its own.

The Wildcats and Otters would go back and forth retaking the lead, before right fielder Ari Marsh would hit the go ahead single in the sixth inning. Monahan re-entered the game in the seventh inning to finish what she started.

The Wildcats now play one more doubleheader Saturday at 11 a.m. as they host Monterey Bay for two more games.

Noah Enns can be reached at @[email protected] or @NoahEnns21 on Twitter.