Managing Editor

Diego Aparicio, Adviser

Managing Editor:

• Develops, directs, manages and oversees The Orion’s editorial vision, strategy and innovation plan inside a newsroom that is in constant evolution, implementing a transition to move it from a print-centric into a digital- and mobile-first content production news team.
  • Collaborates and works closely with the adviser to ensure The Orion reflects editorial processes and outcomes that mirror current trends in the media industry.
  • Sparks a contagious newsroom environment that nurtures The Orion’s mission of informing and entertaining a diverse audience in one of the most vibrant college campuses in Northern California, while maintaining and improving the overall efficiency, quality and productivity of the news team.
  • Keeps editorial expenses within budget and listens to advice on how to efficiently streamline operational costs that are in the best interest of the overall financial performance of the student-run newsroom.
  • Sets, directs and monitors daily, weekly and monthly goals performance for all website, mobile and social media platforms with the ultimately ambition of growing audience engagement and developing a new pipeline of digital revenue that supports stipends to future generations of the student-run news program.
  • Chooses editorial board and sets expectations and guidelines for the newsroom team.
  • Teams up with business manager and adviser in efforts to increase community outreach and visibility of The Orion across campus.
  • Works closely with business manager in efforts to find traditional and non-traditional sources of funding for The Orion, such as publishing special edition products and organizing special community outreach projects.
  • Ultimately responsible for building and nurturing a professional, respectful and efficient working relationship with the adviser, one that sets the standards of communication and interpersonal skills expected in the media and business industries that is awaiting to students seeking for internships and post-college careers.

To apply, please email a cover letter and resume by Nov. 9 to adviser Diego Aparicio at [email protected] or call 530-898-4782.