Looking back at Spring accomplishments

Senior Kayla Taylor, 30, sets a screen for fellow senior Whitney Branham, 3, against UCSD. Both were award winners for the Wildcats Photo credit: Kate Angeles

Andrew Baumgartner

While Fall athletics have begun at Chico State, the Spring athletes set a precedent of success for their fellow Wildcats.

Many of the spring athletes brought championships to Chico State, hoping to continue the trend with the fall athletes.

Softball

Chico State softball was one of the more dominant teams in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II by being the third seed in the Division II championship bracket.

On top of being the third seed in the championship bracket, they also won the California Collegiate Athletic Association championship, the NCAA West Regional and the Super Regional.

_V2A6000_preview.jpeg

Karli Skowrup squares up a pitch against San Marcos. Photo Credit: Janna Weiss Photography

Chico State baseball enjoyed a successful season with a 31-24 record, which included 18 wins at home and winning record at road games at 12-10.

Although the Wildcats could not win either the CCAA tournament or West Regional look for the team to bounce back next year.

Women’s Basketball

The Chico State women’s basketball team finished their season with a 17-11 record which included a 12-2 home record.

Although the Wildcats won their first game of the CCAA tournament, they were unable to win their second game ending their season.

a859f16a-8a05-4369-8359-ac4e20d0273e.jpg

Men’s Basketball

The Chico State men’s basketball team finished the year with a respectable 20-8 record with an impressive home record of 13-1.

The men had the same result as the women, winning their first game in the CCAA tournament, but losing the next ultimately ending their season.

Women’s Golf

The Chico State women’s golf team had a good year, although they finished in the middle of the pack in most of their tournaments.

Without any seniors on the squad, the women’s golf team put up a fight finishing fifth in the CCAA championships.

Men’s Golf

The Chico State men’s golf team had a very productive season. They finished with with five top-two finishes out of nine tournaments.

The biggest accomplishment came in the CCAA Championship where the Wildcats took first place on home turf at Butte Creek Country Club.

IMG_1699-min.jpg

The Chico State men's golf team celebrates their CCAA championship at Butte Creek Country while posing with their trophy. Photo credit: Andrew Baumgartner

Men’s golf would take seventh in the South Central/West Regional to end their season.

Track and Field

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams had successful seasons. The men consistently got great performances from Kyle Medina and Tyler Arroyo. The women were led by Hannah Dorman and Alex Burkhart.

The men won the CCAA championship while the women came in third place.

Optimized-IMG_1627-min.JPG

Chico State's Derrick Shepherd and Windsor Jamison complete the transfer of the baton in the 4x100 relay on Saturday, April 7. The team finished third with a time of 42.75 seconds. Photo credit: Andrew Baumgartner

The Chico State basketball and golf teams will be back in action this semester while track and field, softball and baseball start next spring semester.

Andrew Baumgartner can be reached at [email protected] or @abaum94 on Twitter.