Playlist: 15 classic rock songs that are truly timeless

The album Dark Side of the Moon contains timeless classic rock songs like Time, which is on this weeks playlist. Image from Amazon.
The album “Dark Side of the Moon” contains timeless classic rock songs like “Time,” which is on this week’s playlist. Image from Amazon.

I’m not a huge fan of the term “classic rock”—it’s too broad. There’s often much debate about what music actually belongs in this category, but here’s a list of truly timeless rock songs. This list barely scratches the surface of all the great rock songs that have been created and covered in the past few decades, but it’s a good spread that hits many beloved artists.

Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd

This might be one of the greatest songs ever made. I don’t think it requires much justification for being on this list.

Time – Pink Floyd

I know Pink Floyd is already on this list, but I couldn’t resist putting this one on here too. The combination of lyrics and instrumentals in this song gives me goosebumps.

Over the Hills and Far Away – Led Zeppelin

This song really displays Led Zeppelin’s versatility as a band. It has great lyrics, great instrumentals and it switches from acoustic to electric guitar mid-way through.

Little Wing – Stevie Ray Vaughan

This is probably my favorite rendition of Little Wing—an absolutely beautiful piece of music.

Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie

Just like with every artist on this list, it’s extremely hard to pick one David Bowie song, but this one’s a classic.

Wild Horses – The Rolling Stones

One of their softer tracks, this is a beautiful song with great lyrics and a whole lot of soul.

Lithium – Nirvana

There’s going to be some serious noise complaints if this comes on at a party.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night – Nirvana

A track from Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged show—debatably their best live performance ever. I don’t think I’ll ever get Cobain’s final scream out of my head.

Everlong (acoustic version) – The Foo Fighters

I think this song has a lot more soul in the acoustic version—a beautiful track.

It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) – Bob Dylan

This song contains some of my favorite lyrics ever written—Bob Dylan at his finest.

Fistful of Rain – Warren Zevon

This song comes from the album “Life’ll Kill Ya,” which is one of Zevon’s best albums. It has great lyrics and a catchy tune.

Just Breathe – Pearl Jam

What would a classic-rock playlist be without a little Pearl Jam? This song always makes me want to sit around and contemplate life.

1979 – Smashing Pumpkins

This is a great song, off of a great album.

Black Magic Woman – Santana

Zone out while listening to this and Santana will take you on a mental journey with his guitar.

Tom Sawyer – Rush

This song will get everyone in the room singing at the highest pitch possible.

Trying to pick one or two songs to represent all these artists on a single playlist is extremely difficult, but I did my best.

For playlists pertaining to other genres, stay tuned to The Orion.

Grant Schmieding can be reached at [email protected] or @G_Schmieding on Twitter.