‘Reflections and Hope’ one year later

On Thursday, the Museum of Northern Californian Art opened the doors to their latest display, “Reflection and Hope: A Year to Remember,” and “Bench Press: Please Be Seated.”

Currently on display together, both exhibits take on a role in allowing the community of Butte County to reflect upon the first year following the Camp Fire.

While the main arrays cover the transition since the tragedy, the art and interactive pieces are not meant for just those who have lost property and loved ones, Pat Kemeny Macias, president of MONCA, said.

“Everyone has been affected,” Macias said. “The goal of the show is to allow people to look into the perspectives of the artists and ask themselves, “What are our feelings?” Art is amazing for healing and an amazing way to tell stories. All of this art comes from their hearts.”

Prior to cutting the ribbons, MONCA called out for artists and was responded to from creative-types across Northern California including Paradise, Chico, Concow and even Redding.

One group, based in Redding, contributed the “Benches” display. Art such as “Sit, Forgive, Repeat” by Tari Pratt configured the remains of the Carr Fire.

“(Redding) has already felt what we’ve gone through with the Carr Fire a couple of years ago,” Macias said. “They felt the same empathy for people from the Camp Fire.”

The opening event welcomed 350 guests, according to Macias. “There was a lot of conversation. I think they were just happy to get to look back.”

Both “Hope” and “Reflections” are on display until the end of December. “Benches,” a moving display will be moving to Turtle Bay in 2020

In light of the holidays, MONCA will also be hosting events through the upcoming transitional times including:

• Crochet Jam with Ramekin O’Arwisters, 6-9 p.m. on Nov. 21
    • Reflections Panel Conversation, 3-5 p.m. on Nov. 25
    • Clothing Swap, 3-5 p.m. Dec. 3,
    • Benches Panel Conversation, Dec. 8

Kimberly Morales can be reached at [email protected] or @kimberlymnews on Twitter.