Fatal collision leaves 2 dead

t 3.22.26 PM.png
Chico Police Department officers responded to a vehicle versus pedestrian collision 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Photo credit: Hannah Suzuki

A fatal vehicle versus pedestrian collision on an East Lassen Avenue sidewalk left an elderly couple dead and passenger injured Saturday.

An 81-year-old driver had driven up onto a sidewalk and struck the two pedestrians, who were walking their dog, according to a press release.

When the Chico Police Department, Chico Fire Department and paramedics showed up on scene, the 72-year-old woman pedestrian was pronounced dead. The male pedestrian was taken to the hospital but later died.

The driver’s wife was injured and treated at the scene of the collision, and the driver was not injured. A blood draw was performed on the driver but alcohol and drugs were not a suspected factor of the accident.

Chico Police Department’s Major Accident Investigation Team has been called to further investigate the incident.

Hannah Suzuki can be reached at [email protected] or @hannahsuzuki22 on Twitter.