Governor Jerry Brown seeks fourth term

brown-mug-optimized.jpg
Gov. Jerry Brown

The California Democratic Party endorsed Gov. Jerry Brown in his unprecedented bid for a fourth term as California governor at its annual convention on Saturday.

Brown’s policies and agenda have impacted Chico State and other public universities.

Brown was the major force behind the 2012 ballot measure Proposition 30, said
Diana Dwyre, professor of political science.

Proposition 30 established temporary
increases of sales tax and income taxes on annual earnings of more than $250,000. The revenues
from the taxes fund educational programs.

The governor has set up a deal with the California State University and University of California systems to increase state
funding by 5 percent each year through 2015, and 4 percent for two years after that.

Tuition will not rise
during the years that these funds are received. The money is primarily provided by tax revenue generated by
Proposition 30.

The state budget was a big problem prior to his election and in the early parts of his time in office, said Frederica Shockley, chair of the economics department.

However, she gives the governor high marks for how he has handled the budget so far, she said.

“I think he’s dealt with the budget crisis very well, and I doubt that the CSU would have been better off with anyone else,” she said.

Enrique Raymundo can be reached at [email protected] or @ERaymundoCV on Twitter.