Cafe Culture offers new beat for city

Angela Perez

If one takes a little stroll off the beaten path of downtown, there’s a unique place just waiting to thrill those who are bored with the never changing party scene.

That place is <a href= “http://www.chicocafeculture.com/Welcome.html”>Cafe Culture</a>.

Located on Fifth Street, just past the train station, Cafe Culture has everything a college student could want in a cafe: tea, coffee and free wireless internet. It also offers more than the average cafe.

Cafe Culture, owned and operated by Greg Fletcher, also has a stage area, a studio for dance and music performances, as well as areas for music lessons, massages, acupuncture and acupressure. The cafe also features a colorful and worldly mural painted by local artist Daniel Vera, a friend of Fletcher.

The establishment of Cafe Culture is a realization of a vision Fletcher had for years.

Originally from Berkeley, Fletcher was a percussionist who spent time in Africa, once for six years, and grew to develop a love for the music and culture he found there.

Upon moving back to California, Fletcher came up with a way to combine his love of world music, diverse cultures and dance in the form of a place where people could hang out. Thus, came Cafe Culture.

Fletcher told his father about his idea and tried to get him on board for opening a dance cafe, as Fletcher describes it.

“He was excited,” Fletcher said. “But a lot of people, I think, from the older generation, don’t know how to conceptualize a business like this.”

Nevertheless, his father was sold on the idea, and they both went on a journey to realize Fletcher’s vision.

After two years of trying to get the dance cafe opened in Grass Valley, Fletcher decided it was time to try elsewhere. Chico seemed to be the perfect place.

“I like Chico,” Fletcher said. “It’s a great town, it has a lot of potential. It has a lot of vibrant energy. I just thought it’d be well received here.”

After finding a suitable location and building for his dance cafe, Fletcher had to deal with the city before he could get his vision going. The city was having a hard time classifying the place and kept him from opening for three months, Fletcher said.

Now that it’s up and running, the dance cafe awaits people to wander into the colorful and spacious world that is Cafe Culture.

The building itself is 7,500 square feet and includes various spaces dedicated to all the services Cafe Culture has to offer. Along with the cafe area and gift shop devoted to imported merchandise, there is a large lounge area that includes couches and a bookshelf. The studio features windows for people sitting in the front area to watch the dance lessons and music sessions.

Private music lessons and massage as well as acupuncture and acupressure therapy will be held in two back rooms. Music classes will be held in the mezzanine area that overlooks the entire cafe. These areas can be rented for parties and other functions.

The cafe is unique in that the concept for its layout involves allowing people engaging in different activities to still be connected.

Fletcher’s goal is to bring more diversity and a connection to the outside world to Chico; something that Niobel Caskarete, one of the cafe’s music teachers, hopes Chico will embrace, Caskarete said. Caskarete also plays in the local band <a href= “http://latino.myspace.com/lospapichulosband”>Los Papi Chulos</a>.

Nancy Niehardt, another musician who plays at the cafe with Fletcher, also thinks the cafe is a great idea.

The place and concept is something that is different and allows diverse expression, Niehardt said.

Cafe Culture will offer a variety of classes and lessons devoted to world music and culture.

Even though it is currently open for business, Cafe Culture will hold its official grand opening Feb. 14, 2009. The event will include live music and a chance to scope out the place.

Angela Perez can be reached at<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>