‘Cats win, snap streak

Kirk Barron<br>Assistant Sports Editor

The Chico State men’s basketball team opened its California Collegiate Athletic Association schedule with a victory on Friday.

Andy Bocian scored 36 points to guide the Wildcats (2–4, 1–0 CCAA) to an 87–81 victory over Cal State Monterey Bay (1–4, 0–1 CCAA). Bocian’s monster game put him in a tie for the ninth best single-game point total in Wildcat history.

Since blowing out the University of Hawaii-Hilo 90–77 to open the season, the Wildcats were on the short end of four straight blowouts.

Despite shooting a blistering 65.4 percent from the field in the first half, the Wildcats entered halftime trailing the Otters 45–40.

Chico State played better defense in the second half to hold the Otters to 36 points on 41.4 percent shooting and just 14.3 percent from behind the arc. The Wildcats maintained their hot hand by shooting 66.7 percent.

Bocian hit 70 percent of his shots and pulled down six rebounds. Brandon Sligh added five rebounds and scored 14 points and Justin Argenal chipped in with five rebounds and five assists.

While the Wildcats rode Bocian’s offensive wave, the Otters stayed in the game with 26 points from Jay Demaestri, 22 points from Devoughn Lamont and 11 points and 11 rebounds from Richard Jenkins.

Chico State’s bench scored 34 points to Cal State Monterey Bay’s 14 as 10 Wildcats put points on the board.

Chico State plays Cal State Stanislaus (3–2, 0–1 CCAA) Wednesday in Chico. The Warriors lost to the Otters 88–78 on Saturday.

Kirk Barron can be reached at

<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>