Emotion fills Ayres Hall during Anti-Zionism talk

August Walsh

March 26, 2009

What is anti-Zionism? When does it become anti-Semitism? Where does this hatred come from and where is it going?

Jonathan Bernstein, from the Anti-Defamation League, addressed such questions Wednesday evening in Ayres Hall, and discussed a wide variety of issues about Israel and the Jewish religion in front of an audience that was full of emotion and opinions.

Zionism, which was interpreted in several ways at Wednesday’s discussion, is usually seen as the Jewish people’s search for a homeland. Anti-Zionism can be considered the same thing as anti-Semitism, said Bernstein.

“You can be critical of Israeli policies and still be pro-Israel,” he said. “If you’re critical of Israel policies, go to Israel. You’ll see they’re the biggest critics.”

While many people Jewish people in the audience were quite critical and emotional with some of Israel’s policies, Bernstein said that although he supported Israel, he was not trying to make it seem as though he was doing so on the behalf of the Israeli government.

“I’m not here to defend Israeli government, but Jews today are under assault and they’re safe haven is Israel,” Bernstein said. “The downfall of Israel could possibly lead to the downfall of the Jewish people.”

Mindy E. Aguirre, Campus Coordinator of the Central Pacific Region of Anti-Defamation League, said that Jewish people should keep an ongoing relationship with people who have religious and ethnic backgrounds.

Much to Aguirre’s dismay, Dr. Norman Finklestein will be on campus to further discuss the Israel-Palestine conflict from the pro-Palestine side at 7:30 p.m. April 13th in the Performing Arts Center, Room 144.

Aguirre said she thinks that Finklestein takes too much of an anti-Zionistic approach and spreads hate.

August Walsh can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>