• The Chico Seed Orchard nature trail is about one mile long, paved and surrounded by a variety of trees with an interesting historical background. Photo by Heather Taylor on Feb. 3, 2024.

New trail of thought: Chico Seed Orchard

• Chico State baseball celebrates a hard-fought win over Montana State Billings. Taken by Lukas Mann on Feb. 8.

Revamped Chico State baseball squad off to undefeated start

• Wildcats play. Taken by Milca Elvira Chacon.

Chico State men’s basketball weekend recap: A triumph and setback on the road

• Students wait in line for the Harvester food truck. Taken by Jolie Asuncion Sept. 22, 2022.

15% of Sales: Associated Students Dining Services agreement

• Members of SWANASA group holding up a cut ties with genocide banner on Chico States campis

Students organize pro-Palestine walkout protest on Feb. 8

Baker tosses gem in win against Pioneers

base-1(web).jpg
Senior business major, Nick Baker, throws from the stretch in Friday night's game against Cal State East Bay. Photo credit: Alex Boesch

The Chico State baseball team continued its winning ways Friday night with a 5-1 victory against Cal State East Bay to kick off the four-game series at Nettleton Stadium.

It was the fifth ranked Wildcats 11th win in a row.

Once again, the Wildcats received a gem from ace starting pitcher Nick Baker throwing a two-hit complete game to improve his record to 6-1 on the season with a 1.64 ERA.

Baker gave up a leadoff homerun in the first inning to the Pioneers, but that would be it for Cal State East Bay. He would go on to face only one batter over the minimum and would retire the last 14 batters of the game.

A Ryan McClellan single in the bottom half of the first inning would give the Wildcats the lead and the ’Cats would be in control the rest of the game.

The ‘Cats tallied 13 hits on the game, three of them coming off the bat of third baseman Ruben Padilla.

The Wildcats improved to 25-5 overall, 17-4 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association, staying in first place.

The ’Cats return to the diamond Saturday against the Pioneers of East Bay for a doubleheader starting at noon.

Greg Silvia can be reached at
[email protected] or @gsilvia on Twitter.