Wildcats break Otters 19-game win streak

Gonzalez.jpg
Sophomore first baseman Desiree' Gonzalez. Photo courtesy of Chico State.

The Wildcats softball team held its own against the No. 4 Cal State Monterey Bay Otters splitting the two-game series by winning 5-3 and losing 3-2 in the doubleheader on Saturday, as well as not losing ground on fifth place in the California Collegiate Athletic Association standings.

First baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez put on quite a power show Saturday smashing two homers and six RBIs. She moved herself to within one home run of the single season home run record held by Hailey Stockman.

Gonzalez’s first home run was a big one in game one as she hit a grand slam to break the game open and increase the lead to 5-0. Her second came as a solo home run in a comeback effort during game two.

Pitcher Alex Molina found a groove on the pitcher’s circle in the first game holding the Otters to two runs to earn her 10th win of the season. Pitcher Cheyanne Sandoval pitched well, as did pitcher Brooke Langeloh, who came in as a reliever to keep the Wildcats in it.

Shortstop Emily McEnaney also had three hits on the day to help the Wildcats in the doubleheader. During the nightcap of the doubleheader, the Wildcats could not find a groove as it could only muster up four hits as a team, losing 3-2.

The Wildcats continue play at home this weekend against Sonoma State. The series could have playoff implications as the Wildcats sit in 5th place behind Sonoma State for the last and final CCAA playoff spot.

The big series begins on Friday with a doubleheader kicking off at 1 p.m. The last home game of the season will be senior day on Saturday with another doubleheader starting at noon.

Chance Keenan can be reached at [email protected] and @chancelikelance on Twitter.