Walkoff single in extras finishes series with win

McClellanWEB.jpg
Eric Angerer (left) congratulates Ryan McClellan (center) after a home run to tie the game Sunday against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Photo credit: Grant Mahan

A beautiful day at Nettleton Stadium turned out to have an even better ending. Baseball fans live for the bottom of the 9th rallies and that’s exactly what they got.

The game was led by Cal State Dominguez Hills 6-4 going into the bottom of the 9th. The Wildcats had its back against the wall, but a big time hit kept the game going. That two-run shot to left by Ryan McCellan. This was his first home run of the season and it couldn’t have came in a more clutch situation. Eric Angerer was on first after he drew a walk. This continued the game into extra innings.

This was just the start to the excitement.

Brandon Walker stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the 11th and did exactly what he needed to do. He singled to right field with two outs, bringing home pinch-runner Robert Hook from second.

Not only did the bats come alive late in the game, but Luke Barker was called out of the bullpen in the 8th to shut out Cal State Dominguez Hills for four consecutive innings.

Pitching has been a big part of the Wildcats’ success this year. Barker picked up the win facing 14 batters and only allowing two hits.

Ryan McCellan led the charge on offense with three hits. Walker and Huesers contributed with two-hits apiece.

The Wildcats will travel to Cal State San Bernardino beginning Thursday to continue conference play.

The series begins with a game Thursday at 3 p.m., continues with a doubleheader Friday at 11 a.m., and concludes with a single game Saturday at 11.

Ryan Grady can be reached at [email protected] or @RyanGrady23 on Twitter.