• Tommy, a 3 year old Golden Retriever, interacts with students at The Well. Taken by Toby Neal on Feb. 28.

Bell Memorial Union is going to the dogs

• Signs with checkmarks on them. Created by Steven Amador on Mar. 1

CSU Board of Trustees to vote on Academic Professionals of America tentative agreement

Track championships under way in San Diego

player_Nikssarian.jpg
Chico State decathlete Adam Nikssarian. Photo courtesy of Chico State.

The California Collegiate Athletic Association Championships began on Thursday for both men’s and women’s track & field team in San Diego.

Adam Nikssarian is in good position after day one to capture his second straight podium finish at the CCAA Championships. Nikssarian set a personal record in the shot put, which helped the decathlete get to fourth place after the first five events with 3,262 points.

Fellow Wildcat Lane Andrews is right behind Nikssarian with 3,256 points. Andrews has a chance to set a new PR finish after posting his best ever high jump and 400-meter time.

Freshman Scott Pater is in seventh place and Jake Mitchell in eighth after failing to clear a height in the high jump. The top three finishers will earn All-Conference honors.

For the women’s track and field, Kristen Brunk is in fifth place after day one in the heptathlon competition. After a pair of personal best efforts, Brunk was the highest among the four Chico State heptathletes, scoring 2,642 points.

Brunk’s top event Thursday was the 200, where she placed second with a personal best time of 25.75 seconds. She posted a PR in the high jump with a leap of 4 feet, 9 inches.

Brooke Whitburn is in sixth place with 2,641 points, while Sarah Hockensmith’s 2,540 points were good for eighth place. Kylie Herman did not score in the high jump, pushing her down to 10th place with 2,086 points.

The final events for the men’s decathletes and women’s heptathletes will be held on Friday.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
@sergechez on Twitter.