Pro teams provide a welcome distraction

mattMurphycolor.jpg
Matt Murphy

This is a glorious time of year in the sports world.

Baseball is in full swing. The future of the NFL will soon be chosen with the Draft approaching. There’s hockey, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Most compelling to me are the NBA playoffs, and this year’s second season has gotten off to one of the best starts in recent memory with all but two first round series going at least six games.

This is the time of year that I sit on the edge of my couch and bite my nails in hope that this is the year for my beloved Warriors.

And while this was not the year of the Dubs—I’m not ready to talk about it yet, the wound is too fresh—I can’t help but still be thankful for this team I love so much.

At this point, all but a select few of us have been told—or found out the hard way—that we are not destined for athletic greatness. I think I can pretty safely say I will not be suiting up on Sundays in Santa Clara, taking the field at 3rd and King, or hearing the roar from the Oracle Arena court.

But everyone needs distractions, something to take their minds off of life, even if it’s only for a couple hours. That’s what sports do. They give everyone something greater than themselves to belong to. It’s why our favorite teams are referred to by the pronoun “we”, despite our having nothing really to do with the organization.

Although I suppose Steve Bartman could call himself an outfielder for the Marlins.

It’s the escape, however temporary, from everyday life that always keeps us coming back for more.

I leave this season of Warriors basketball even more excited for the next.

And hey, in the famous last words of every sports fan, there’s always next year right?

Matt Murphy can be reached at [email protected] or @matthewcharlesz on Twitter.