’Cats seeking championship title

baseballweb.jpg
Senior Ryan McClellan takes a cut Sunday against Sonoma State. Photo credit: Ernesto Rivera

With the season all wrapped up, it’s that time of the year again. Playoffs.

The ‘Cats ended their regular season Sunday with a heartbreaking 10-7 loss to Sonoma State, a game that determined the regular season champion.

While it was a tough loss to take, it doesn’t mean everything. The loss sealed the second seed in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament for the Wildcats. The tournament begins this Thursday at Banner Island Ballpark in Stockton.

The winner of the conference tournament receives an automatic bid to the West Regional.

Chico State finished the regular season 37-11 overall and 29-10 in the CCAA.

With these numbers, Chico State will open postseason play against third-seeded UC San Diego Thursday at 7 p.m.

Top-seeded Sonoma State will take on the the fourth-seeded Cal Poly Pomona at 3 p.m. The tournament will be double elimination.

The Wildcats haven’t matched up with UC San Diego since February, but when they did it was a series split 2-2. In the Wildcat wins during the series, Brad Lohse and Marcos Lara controlled the tempo on the mound, both not allowing a single run in their starts.

The Chico State baseball program has won eight West Region championships since 1997, the last being in 2012.

With how well the program has played this year, a deep run in the postseason is a possibility.

Ryan Grady can be reached at [email protected] or @RyanGrady23 on Twitter.