• Firefighters maintain efforts to quell flames. Photo taken by Shane Aweeka on March 1.

High-speed chase ends in collision and fatality

• Joshua Hamilton driving to the hoop.

Joshua Hamilton reaches 1,000 career points against San Bernardino.

• Orange cones block the entrance to the Dutch Bros on Esplanade. Photo taken by Amy Blair on Feb. 28.

Dutch Bros on Esplanade temporarily closed

• The student health center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, and is closed for an hour each day from noon to 1 p.m. Courtesy: WellCat Health Center, taken by Jason Halley/University Photographer

Healthcare for students anytime, anywhere: all the WellCat has to offer

• Second Street from the B Line bus station. Taken by Maki Chapman on Feb. 28.

Backsliding on alcohol rules, or maybe moving forward

Friday Night Concert provides enjoyable community atmosphere

IMG_4726.JPG
Urban Legend rocks out at the Chico City Plaza for the second performance of the 37th anniversary of the Friday Night Concert series, which runs until Sep. 12. Photo credit: Emma Wood-Wright

A man in a yellow T-shirt plays the air piano along with the band Urban Legend at the 37th anniversary of Downtown Chico’s Friday Night Concert series.

“I’ve been going to the concerts since I was 11,” local John G. said. “I can’t recall the amount of bands I’ve seen here.”

The free concerts will run every Friday until Sep. 12. Each concert is sponsored by a few local businesses.

Rows of lawn chairs occupied the plaza and in them the people of Chico tapped their feet to live, classic rock covers by the band.

“It’s popular hits from back in the day; it’s catchy,” event-goer Jill Anchordoguy said.

Topless children ran wild, splashing each other playfully in the plaza’s fountain.

“I enjoy the atmosphere,” said attendee Bob Frizzell.

An older couple danced flawlessly together, ending with a small dip and a sweet kiss. Others danced solo, embracing the saying “dance like nobody is watching.”

Locals and those visiting for graduation made this event packed, despite temperatures lingering in the mid-80s.

Karen Sill was one attendee who used to live in Chico and returned to see her son graduate. Sill said she loves the multi-generation community feel of the Friday Night Concerts.

“Up next: Jesse’s Girl,” the lead singer called out.

The guitar intro began, luring people out of their seats to dance.

A small boy, just five feet from the stage, stared intently at the performers. He slapped his thighs and looked to the man in the yellow T-shirt for some moves.

Emma Wood-Wright can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.