• A student shovels dirt over the 2024 time capsule outside of Kendall Hall. The time capsule will be unveiled in 2074 as they are unveiled every 50 years. Taken by Grace Stark on April 23.

Chico State holds annual Time Capsule Ceremony for graduating seniors

Fundraiser for dead student exceeds goal

meyers_grant.jpg
Grant Meyers, 21. Courtesy of Kris Meyers

An online fundraiser for deceased student Grant Meyers, 21, received more than $11,000 within a few days.

The original target amount was $2,500, said Kris Meyers, Grant Meyers’ mother.

The online fundraiser was created by family friend, Scott Campbell.

“Within a few hours, it was $5,000,” said Kris Meyers. “So he just put it open for $10,000.”

The fund helped provide flowers, service arrangements and a headstone for Meyers, who was found dead in his father’s Lodi home August 7, Kris Meyers said.

The San Joaquin County Coroners office have not released a cause of death.

According to the campus email:

Meyers was a junior political science major with a minor in English. He transferred from San Joaquin Delta College and enrolled in Chico State in the spring 2014 semester. Grant was born in Lodi on Dec. 16, 1992.

He enjoyed music, sports, hiking, reading, movies and time with friends and family.

“I didn’t know him well because he just got here but it was unusual for him to come visit me a lot – we had a lot of conversations about internships and jobs and classes he should take,” said Diana Dwyre, political science professor and internship coordinator. “He asked me questions about political science – he was vibrant, enthusiastic, had a great vibe and his work was excellent.”

Meyers was looking to land an internship in Washington D.C., Dwyre said. He wanted to work in congress.

“Grant lived a full life in 21 years,” Kris Meyers said. “He ate right and was in wonderful physical health.”

“Any situation you put him in, he would make the best of it,” she said. “He loved his friends and was devoted to family. He was the first one there and the last to leave. He was one of those people that could talk to anybody.”

Walk-in services are offered at the Counseling and Wellness Center in the Student Services Building Room 430, Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Christine Lee can be reached at: [email protected] or @leechris017 on Twitter.