• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Men’s soccer wins home, season opener

Lee.jpg
Chico State freshman soccer player Patrick Lee had a pair of assists in the team's 3-0 win over Dominican University to open the season Thursday. Photo courtesy Chico Wildcats.

The Chico State men’s soccer team passed its first real test of the season by dominating Dominican University on Thursday night, with a final score of 3-0 in the team’s season opener.

The Wildcats took a commanding lead early, courtesy of a header goal by senior midfielder Akwafei Ajeakwa at 5:43 in the opening frame. Later, junior forward Matt Hurlow followed up with a goal of his own at 49:10.

The ‘Cats set the tempo of the game on the offensive side of the field, finishing with 12 shots total and five of their shots on goal. On the other side, Dominican University finished with 3 shots total and only one shot on goal.

Justin Walmsley, the team’s junior defender, extended Chico State’s lead in the second half by scoring from an assist by Patrick Lee.

Lee, a freshman forward from Sacramento, was one of the key contributors for the Wildcats on Thursday night ,recording two assists during the match.

Afterwards, head coach Felipe Restrepo said that winning the first game was a good way to start the season considering that they have a young group of players.

“We have a lot of room to grow,” he said. “But there is a lot of exciting pieces that we have, so I’m looking forward to the next few months to see how far we can get with this group.”

The team will look to string together a win this Saturday, when they face Seattle Pacific University at home.