• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

New students invade Friday evening concert

Dan Reidel Freshman business administration major Dana Centeno shows off her class of 2017 wildcat paw alongside Brittany Hagedorn, an undeclared freshman, at the Friday Night Concert.
Dan Reidel
Freshman business administration major Dana Centeno shows off her class of 2017 wildcat paw alongside Brittany Hagedorn, an undeclared freshman, at the Friday Night Concert.

Chico City Plaza underwent a Wildcat takeover Friday with music, dancing and free food.

The Downtown Chico Business Association, the Chico Chamber of Commerce and Chico State partnered to host a Friday Night Concert Aug. 23 to welcome new freshmen and transfer students to their new home.

The event was part of Wildcat Welcome Week, a beginning-of-school celebration for new students to get to know the campus and town.

Mary Wallmark, a coordinator in the Student Life and Leadership Office, helped put together Wildcat Welcome.

This year, Wildcat Welcome Week featured several new events, including the Friday Night Concert.

“Well, we took Wildcat Welcome and put it on steroids,” Wallmark said.

Students were given $5 meal vouchers which could be redeemed Woodstock’s Pizza, Kinder’s, Big Chico Burger, Jamba Juice and many more.

“This is a way to meet people that doesn’t make you feel like you have to have a red cup in your hand,” Wallmark said.

Many of the incoming students took the opportunity to get to know one another at the event.

Jake Shatswell, a transfer student from Los Medanos College, is spending his junior year at Chico State.

“It’s fun and lets you introduce yourself to a lot of new people,” Shatswell said.

Steve Riccomini, director of intramural sports and leader of the Wildcat-themed Friday Night Concert, hopes the community benefited from the event.

“I want them to understand that the students are OK,” Riccomini said. “I think sometimes the university and the town can become divided. I think it’s OK for the community to realize that students are as much attracted to this place as they are.”

Diane Bonior has lived in Chico for three years and likes the idea of Wildcat-themed Friday Night Concerts.

“I think it’s great and they should do it more often,” Bonior said.

Sharon Martin can be reached at [email protected].