Chico State men’s soccer team wins 2-0

c95adb17-1a48-4c3a-aaa1-619c04cb87d4.jpg
Chico State men's soccer play lets a shot fly earlier last week. The Wildcats beat the Academy of Art 2-0 Friday night. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State men’s soccer team won its second game of the season Friday night against a tough opponent, the Academy of Arts, with a final score of 2-0.

First-year midfielder Carter Johnson scored his first collegiate goal to give Chico State (2-0-1) the lead at 31:33 in the first half. The Wildcats did not score again until late in the second half, after junior forward Matt Hurlow came off the bench to dish an assist to senior midfielder Joachim Gasmi.

Both teams combined for 27 fouls in what was a very physical match-up. Johnson and senior midfielder Justin Saul were among four players in the game who were penalized with yellow cards early in the second half.

Academy of Arts’ Lennart Fleschhut, who received the first yellow card of the game, was ejected late in the second half after shoving a Chico State player to the ground.

One of the things the team took away from the experience was how the young players responded with the challenge of playing a physical game, said head coach Felipe Restrepo after the game.

“I think they responded in a really good manner,” he said. “They kept their head in the game, stuck to a game plan, they were able to fight through situations. I’m really proud of them holding their own.”

The team will try to make it two in a row Sunday against Saint Martin’s University, before heading out on a four-game road trip.

Jose Olivar can be reached at [email protected] or @jpu_olivar on Twitter.