Men’s soccer team wins 1-0 over Saint Martin’s

IMG_1968.jpg
Chico State men' soccer player Mike Janjigian had a big role defensively in the Wildcat's shutout on Sunday. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State mens soccer team beat the Saint Martins Saints 1-0 at home Sunday for the team’s second straight shutout.

Both teams went scoreless through the first period. Just after the second half began, Akwafei Ajeakwa shot home a cross from Patrick Lee for the lone goal of the game.

Senior defender Mike Janjigian led the defense with stellar play throughout along with freshman goalie Luke Dennison, who had three saves to earn the shutout.

“We had a hard time finishing shots this game,” Janjigian said. “But all you can ask for is to get a win. We got a win and shutout.”

Assistant coach Zach Bradford said not all wins are pretty, and that showed on Sunday.

“That’s just the game of soccer,” Bradford said. “Some days you’ll get five chances and score four goals and other days you get 20 shots and score one or even none, so it was a gritty performance that took the whole 90 minutes.”

IMG_1972.jpg

Dennison, a freshman has three shutouts on the season. He is getting help on defense from teammates like Janjigian and Justin Walmsley, Bradford said.

“Luke’s been great for us this season so far,” Bradford said. “Luckily we have some veteran guys back there that are just playing awesome defense.”

The victory puts Chico at 3-0-1 for the season. The team next plays Brigham Young University-Hawaii this Thursday in Arcata.

Emerson Keenan can be reached at [email protected] or @chancelikelance on Twitter.