Mens soccer team beats Holy Names 2-1

fcac45bc-4572-4b17-a09f-67213c235ab0.jpg
Freshman Carter Johnson weaves through opponents in a game earlier this year. Chico State scored twice in the second half to beat Holy Names 2-1 on Saturday. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State men’s soccer team came back from a goal down at halftime to win 2-1 against Holy Names University in Arcata on Saturday,

The Wildcats remained undefeated on the season and have allowed just two goals in the first six games.

Freshman goalkeeper Luke Dennison, who had three saves on the day, described it as “another great team win” through a text after the game.

The Hawks struck first in the sixth minute of the game with a goal from junior Jaime Phillips to take the lead 1-0. Holy Names carried this lead into the second half.

The first goal for the ‘Cats was scored on a penalty kick by senior Joachim Gasmi to tie the game in the 53rd minute.

The Wildcats then pulled ahead for good when senior Akwafei Ajeakwa found junior Matt Hurlow for a goal in the 68th minute.

Chico State now moves to 5-0-1 on the season Their next game takes place this Friday at 7 p.m. in a match against CSU Dominguez Hills in Carson.

Chance Keenan can be reached at [email protected] or @chancelikelance on Twitter.