• Tommy, a 3 year old Golden Retriever, interacts with students at The Well. Taken by Toby Neal on Feb. 28.

Bell Memorial Union is going to the dogs

• Signs with checkmarks on them. Created by Steven Amador on Mar. 1

CSU Board of Trustees to vote on Academic Professionals of America tentative agreement

Governor vetoes extra $100M for CSUs, UCs

8028178642_f2dacd4af6_z.jpg
Governor Jerry Brown. Photo courtesy by Neon Tommy via Flickr.

Governor Jerry Brown vetoed part of a budget bill Saturday which would of awarded an extra $50 million each to the California State University and University of California systems for deferred maintenance.

Governor Brown said in a letter to the state assembly that he decided not to use $100 million from the state’s general fund because the state had budgeted for $200 million for deferred maintenance to come from state property taxes but tax revenues were below estimates.

“Making investments to maintain the state’s aging infrastructure continues to be a major priority for my administration,” he said. “However, we are nearly one quarter into the fiscal year now and we should not commit additional general fund monies of this magnitude when we are facing unanticipated costs such as fighting the state’s extreme wildfires.”

Chico State was slated to receive $2 million dollars to upgrade the campus’ central heating and cooling system, according to Joe Wills, a spokesman for the university.

Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins said in a press release that she is disappointed in Governor Brown’s line-item veto.

“We disagree with denying this funding simply because the money involved comes from Pot B instead of Pot A,” she said. “The assembly will continue to make investing in UC, CSU and their students a priority in the upcoming budget process.”

Ernesto Rivera can be reached at [email protected] or @ernestorivera on Twitter.