Women’s soccer team bests Cal Poly 3-1

furner1.jpg
Chico State women's soccer goalie Brianna Furner during a game earlier this season. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State women’s soccer team hit back-to-back goals in the second half of Friday night’s showdown at home vs. Cal Poly Pomona to win the match 3-1.

The first half showcased a tight game. Chico State struck first on a set piece from Megan Tabler to Lindsey Dias, who knocked it into the net. The Wildcats held the lead 1-0 to end the first half. Tabler saw an opportunity on her kick that ended up assisting in the team’s first goal.

“I saw the goalie on the goal line closer to the near post so I knew if I hit it backdoor one of my teammates would have gotten it,” Tabler said

The Broncos stepped up the pressure in the second half and tied the match on a shot that got past Chico goalie Brianna Furner in the 52nd minute of play.

With the game tied in the 73rd minute, the Wildcats scored two goals 33 seconds apart of each other. The first goal came on a Tabler shot that just skipped over the finger tips of the Broncos goalie.

“I felt that I hit it pretty strong,” Tabler said. “I didn’t know it was going over but when I saw it was going in I was pretty pumped.”

The next goal iced the game for the Wildcat’s. Shelby Lanksbury got the final goal of the game on a shot that glanced off the Bronco’s goal keeper, making the final 3-1.

Chico State improves to a 5-3-1 and 2-1 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. The team’s next game is Sunday at 2 p.m. at home vs. UC San Diego.

Angelo Boscacci can be reached at [email protected] or @Boscacci6 on Twitter.