Men’s golf wins title at home course

IMG_1514web.jpg

The Chico State men’s golf team, ranked fifth in the nation, recovered from an up and down first round to shoot matching team scores of 284 to claim its first team title of the season. In the only tournament appearance in Chico, played at Butte Creek Country Club, the Wildcats were the only team to post a team score under par in any round and finished 10 strokes clear of second place finisher Dixie State College.

The Wildcats were led by Alistair Docherty’s score of seven under par. The golfer posted three rounds under par including a second round 68. Docherty’s score was good enough to claim second place individually, three strokes behind Cal State East Bay’s Adam Stone, who finished at 10 under par with 18 birdies over three rounds to claim the individual title.

IMG_1458web.jpg
Chico State golfer Lee Gearhart examines the green before making a putt. Photo credit: John Domogma

Justin Wiles, winner of the Mustang Fall Intercollegiate in Chico State’s first tournament of the season, followed up his victory with another strong performance, finishing alone in third place at three under par. Close on his heels was fellow Wildcat Lee Gearhart, who finished in fifth place at one under par, giving the ‘Cats three top-five finishers. Gearhart was also one of just four golfers to post an eagle after having a tap in three on the par five ninth hole in the midst of playing five holes in five under around the turn.

Rounding out team scores was Zachary Sardina, making his first varsity appearance, and David Na. Sardina finished tied for 36th or nine over par, including a hole-in-one on the par-three third in his last round. Na finished tied for 56th at 20 over par.

Also making their first collegiate appearances and playing as individuals were freshman Ryan Roodzant and Colby Dean. Roodzant finished tied for 19th at six over par after shooting a 71 in the final round with 17 pars. Dean wound up 11 over par posting three rounds in the 70s, good for a share of 23rd place.

Kevin Lucena can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.