Men’s soccer team ties Cal State East Bay

IMG_0617web.jpg
Wildcat Defender Kenny Rosecrance attempts to center the ball in the box at Chico State Friday October 17, 2014 against CSU East Bay Pioneers. Photo credit: John Domogma

[box]

Chico State 0, Cal State East Bay 0 (OT)

• Goals: 0
  • Saves: Luke Dennison (2)
  • Chico State: 6-5-2, 1-5-2 California Collegiate Athletic Association

[/box]

In the match between Chico State Wildcats and Cal State East Bay Pioneers, neither team could find the net after 90 minutes and two halves of overtime so the teams settled for a 0-0 tie on Friday night.

The Wildcats had many chances to get in the net but never couldn’t convert. Coach Felipe Restrepo attributed this lack of offense to the fact that the team is still young.

“At this point, we have a lot of young guys on the field so we are preparing for what is to come,” Restrepo said. “I felt like there was some really nice moments in the game and we were taking it to them, we just couldn’t find the back of that net.”

The Chico State defense kept yet another team scoreless. On the game, goalie Luke Dennison had only two saves but had a shot go far wide in overtime that almost went for a goal for the Pioneers.

Despite the tie, Restrepo found some positives in the game and the outlook on the rest of the season.

“I think the longer these guys play together, the better they will get and hopefully they find the back of the net,” Restrepo said. “We lost a lot of our scoring punch from last year, so new guys are having to step up and be big for us, and they are they are slowly getting there.”

The team moves to 6-5-2 on the season and continues play on Sunday at Turlock for a match with Cal State Stanislaus that starts at 2 p.m.

Chance Keenan can be reached at [email protected] or @chancelikelance on Twitter.