• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

Officer seeks to combat party school reputation

Kasey Judge Ariel Alvero, the A.S. commissioner of student organizations and programs, leads a meeting that focused on how to promote and expand student involvement on campus.
Kasey Judge
Ariel Alvero, the A.S. commissioner of student organizations and programs, leads a meeting that focused on how to promote and expand student involvement on campus.

It wasn’t until her junior year at Chico State that Ariel Avero developed a serious interest in getting involved with student events and activities. Now, she has big plans for the fall semester.

Alvero, a senior communication studies major, is the Associated Students commissioner of student organizations and programs. She assigns funds for various student organization events.

This semester, Alvero’s goal is to put on events for students so they don’t fall into a lifestyle of heavy partying.

“Basically we really try to give students these alternatives,” Alvero said. “We have such a stigma on this campus because it’s Chico State, but I don’t think we’re recognized nearly enough for all the hard work and effort that our students put into.”

In the past, Chico State has been successful with events such as Up ‘til Dawn, a nationwide student-run program that raises funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and Relay for Life, a charity walk that raises money for the American Cancer Society.

Now that Wildcat Welcome Week and Wildcat Way Weekend are over, Alvero is working to put on similar events later in the semester.

“We want to continue during these major stereotypical party weekends to get students out in the community,” Alvero said.

Alvero is already planning Halloween-themed events. There are also weekly Wednesday afternoon concerts in Trinity Commons, free outdoor movies at night on the lawn by Glenn Hall and a campus sustainability day in October.

“We’re giving students something fun and alternative to do so they don’t have to stick to the status quo,” Alvero said. “It’s never too late to get involved.”

For a complete list of upcoming campus events visit aschico.com.

Sharon Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.