• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Cross-Country teams win CCAA Championships

camila.jpg
Freshman runner Camila Turati was named Freshman of the Year at the CCAA Championships. Photo credit: Brandon Foster

[box]

CCAA Championships

Alex McGuirk: Individual Champion and CCAA Runner of the Year

Camila Turati: Freshman of the year

Gary Towne: Coach of the Year

[/box]

Both Chico State’s men and women’s cross country teams took home titles at the CCAA Championships Saturday in San Bernardino. The men have captured their 13th consecutive title in the 8k, while the women seized their seventh consecutive in the 6k.

The men’s champion and CCAA Runner of the Year was Chico State’s own Alex McGuirk. He crossed the finish line three seconds ahead of the second-place finisher with a time of 25 minutes, 13 seconds. The team was unable to get a top six sweep like last year, but six out of the first 11 to finish were Wildcats. This included freshman Kyle Medina, placing third with a time of 25:30. Also in the mix was Nick Grubiss, Barron Maizland, and Nicholas Valenzuela.

The women’s got first place as well, beating Cal Poly Pomona with 22 fewer points. The first Wildcat to finish was Quetta Peinado, as she placed sixth with a time of 22:49. Freshman Camila Turati and junior Rebekah Bahra finished as a pair, placing ninth and 10th. Alex Burkhart placed 12th and Sadie Gastelum got the 14th spot.