Volleyball team falls to CCAA-leader Sonoma State

IMG_2972web.jpg
Junior Hannah Wilkins elevates for a block against Sonoma State on Friday. Photo credit: John Domogma

[box]

Sonoma State 3, Chico State 1

• Scores: 32-30, 25-16, 25-12
  • Assists: Torey Thompson (32)
  • Digs: Emily Duran (25); Torey Thompson (15)

[/box]

After a close first game single set that went into a 32-30 loss, the Chico State volleyball team was shut out at home Friday against Sonoma State in three sets.

Head Coach Cody Hein said that they had an opportunity to beat the California Collegiate Athletic Association leaders, but the team just could not keep the momentum going.

The Wildcats had 23 attack errors in total for the three sets, compared to Sonoma State’s eight.

In the first set, the two teams almost went point for point in a thriller. The Wildcats could not keep the scoring going and lost the next two games 25-16, 25-12.

Torey Thompson had a big game with 32 assists, as well as 15 digs. Emily Duran led the team in digs with 25.

Lindsay Quigley and Olivia Mediano led the team in kills with 10 a piece.

The ‘Cats had a low hitting percentage of .096 and were only able to get 36 kills compared to Sonoma State’s 53.

The team will not have its last game of the regular season Saturday at Acker Gym against San Francisco State at 7 p.m.

Hein said he hopes the team can close out the season with a win and an even record of 13-13.

Samuel Wolfson can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.