• Say hello to your new mayor. Photo by Robledo Rafael Andrade via Pexels.

'The Big Dipper'

A modest fur-prosal: Put pets in local politics

• Customers enjoying food in the seating area of Mas Amor Mexican Food. Taken by Jessica Miller on March 2.

Mas Amor Mexican Food’s grand opening is just the beginning

Chico State honored as military-friendly

Langwell.jpg
Air Force veteran and coordinator of the Office of Veterans’ Affairs Larry Langwell. Photo credit: Anna Sobrevinas

For the fifth straight year, Chico State has been listed as one of the best military-friendly schools in the country, according to the Military Advanced Education journal.

The Military Advanced Education’s Guide to Colleges and Universities selected Chico as one of their “Top Schools” for 2015. MAE presents veterans with information on about 500 schools that participated in their surveys. Their ratings include insight on military culture, financial assistance, flexibility and support online and on campus.

In addition, the school has been designated in the top 15 percent of military-friendly schools for five years by G.I. Jobs, an online magazine for military men and women transitioning in to higher education.

“Chico’s been recognized by several publications for being friendly to veterans and military members because of our policies and programs of success-oriented services that we provide to our service members and their families,” said Larry Langwell, former Air Force staff sergeant and Chico State Veterans Affairs coordinator.

The college’s student Veteran Organization was founded in 1967. In 2005 the SVO became a founding chapter to the Student Veterans of America, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping veterans and active-duty military succeed in higher education, he said.

“It’s nice to have some of the publications that recognize us for doing a good job,” said James Smith, former Marine Corps sergeant and senior international relations and history major. “Chico State does a good job of really putting forth a good effort, and obviously we get some recognition for that as well, which is nice.”

Anna Sobreviñas can be reached at [email protected] or @manilanna on Twitter.