Disney classic to be at Laxson Auditorium

Flickr via e r j k p r u n c z y k
Flickr via e r j k p r u n c z y k

Dancing teacups, a worrisome clock and a flaming candlestick will give life to a classic enchanted fairytale this month in a local production of “Beauty and the Beast Jr.”

Join the sing along at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 25 at Laxson Auditorium with Disney’s story of a cursed Prince and his quest for true love.

“Beauty and the Beast Jr. is filled with the most memorable songs and moments from the classic film such as “Be Our Guest,” “Gaston” and “Something There,” said Matt Hammons, the director.

Fifty students in the Chico area ages 5-16 years old make up the cast of Beauty and the Beat Jr.

“The cast signed up for a summer workshop program and after two weekends of auditioning were cast in their roles,” Hammons said.

Eleni Mahlis, 15, a junior at Inspire School of Arts and Sciences has the main role of Belle.

“I’ve been taking singing lessons for a couple of years and also have been in a few Laxson shows over the past few years,” Mahlis said.

With a new director and a new cast of students the play brings individuality to each character.

“You can find Belle and the Beast along with their castle full of enchanted objects: Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, the villainous Gaston and his dimwitted lackey LeFou,” Hammons said.

“The audience can expect a charming, somewhat silly but fun show with a great message,” Mahlis said. “It’ll be appealing to all ages.”

Beauty and the Beast JR. is co-presented with Blue Room Young Company and is presented through special arrangement with Musical Theatre International.

Tickets:

Adult $15

Senior $13

Student/Child $8

The reporter can be reached at [email protected].