• An alt-girl walks down the middle of a street. AI image generated by Ariana Powell using Adobe Firefly on April 19.

• Taylor Swift released her new album in April. Generated by Ariana Powell using Adobe Firefly on April 24.

‘Grillin’ on the Grass’ event helps students get involved

Lara Rodriguez Students attempt to work together to make it to the finish before the other team.
Lara Rodriguez
Students attempt to work together to make it to the finish before the other team.

The CCLC’s annual welcome event brought games and free food to the George Peterson Rose Garden lawn.

The Cross Cultural Leadership Center welcomes students with sizzling burgers, wet and wild sponge races and informative booths about involvement opportunities at Grillin’ on the Grass on Thursday at the Rose Garden.

“We emphasize diversity,” said Sylvia Rodriguez, a CCLC staff member. “We want to get those students who feel left out to come play games, meet new people and get involved so they get out of their comfort zone.”

Along with free Madison Bear Garden burgers, students got to participate in teamwork activities while gaining more information about the culturally diverse student organizations on campus such as the Women of Excellence, African Diaspora organization, Hmong Student Association and Chico Pride.

“I liked seeing the diverse students and what the multicultural clubs have to represent,” said Stephanie Ellis, freshman communication sciences and disorder major.

Senior cell and microbiology major Adriana Gomora was tabling for her involvement in science and engineering for women.

“It’s about getting to know other organizations that are important,” Gomora said. “I like how there was a table for drugs and alcohol awareness. It shows how we are trying to push the gap in the other direction plus the food was good.”

As the burgers dwindled and raffle ticket winners were called, students donated to the CCLC fundraiser in remembrance of fellow student Pa Houa Lor.

Jennifer Jacobs can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.