• Tasha Alexander gardening. Photo Courtesy of Tasha Alexander.

Tasha Alexander: inspiring educator, alumna

• Pacientes y estudiantes pueden quedarse en la sala de espera antes de su cita. El laboratorio de Wellcat está dentro del centro de salud. El laboratorio realiza una variedad de pruebas incluyendo para ETS y otros problemas de salud.

Una nueva ETS está en el pueblo: ¿Que debería saber?

• Patients or students can stay in the waiting area before appointments. The Wellcats lab is located inside the heath center and performs a variety of tests including for STDs and other health issues. Taken by Milca Elvira Chacon.

New STI just dropped: What should I know?

Wildcat wraps up stellar season

volleyball062.JPG
Senior middle hitter Lindsay Quigley takes flight and serves the ball in a match against Humboldt State in November 2013. Orion file photo.

Lindsay Quigley will end her volleyball career on a high note with the many accolades she has received this year.

As a member of the Chico State women’s volleyball team, Quigley ended her senior year ranked fifth in the nation in hitting percentage with .400. She also broke the program’s all-time career record hitting percentage.

“One of my goals this year was to hit .400, so that was a great accomplishment. But I am very proud that I was able to be an effective hitter over all four of my years, and I was really happy to be fifth in the nation,” she said. “Each year I just wanted to keep getting better and better, so it has been amazing to see hard work pay off.”

She is closing out the 2014 season with four awards:

• American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American Honors

• American Volleyball Coaches Association All-West Region

• First Team All-California Collegiate Athletic Association

• Capital One Academic All-District Volleyball Team Selection

All the recognition she has received this season has left her speechless, Quigley said.

“I feel truly honored to be given these awards. It is something that every athlete strives for, and it’s nice to see hard work pay off,” she said.

Quigley is astonished with how fast her four seasons of volleyball have come and gone, she said.

“I am still having a hard time believing that it’s over,” she said. “Time really flew by these four years, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

She said that she hopes to continue playing in the off season just to stay busy, and it will also be the first time she is not required to play.

“It’s really weird to not have volleyball so I will probably go back and play a little in the spring when I have time,” she said. “I definitely need to find a job or something to take up my time because I don’t know what I will do with my free time.”

Her teammate, Ellie Larronde, said that she appreciates what Quigley has done and definitely thinks that she deserves the recognition the most.

“Lindsay is the hardest working girl I know, whether it’s on the court or in the classroom. She always gives 100 percent, and I can’t think of anyone who deserves to be an All-American more than her,” said Larronde, who is also in her fourth year with the team.

Quigley will graduate with a double major in biochemistry and chemistry and a minor in math — an impressive feat within four years.

She said that she is not entirely sure what she wants to do with those majors but would like to continue on to graduate school next fall.

Quigley has learned a lot from volleyball, like the power of hard work and determination that can be applied to any part of the real world, she said. She is also thankful for the athletic department at Chico State and what they have done for her.

“It really is a family-like environment that I have had a great experience with,” she said.

Samuel Wolfson can be reached at [email protected] or @Samuel_Wolfson on Twitter.