Academic Senate discusses campus parking

Anna Sobreviñas

IMG_6535web.jpg

Lori Hoffman, vice president of business and finance, delivers a presentation about a proposed parking structure plan. Photo credit: John Domogma

In an Academic Senate meeting on Thursday, Lori Hoffman, vice president for business and finance, gave a presentation about parking on campus.

According to the report, which compared the number of parking spaces from 2004 to 2014, faculty and staff parking spaces increased by 92 slots and reserved parking by 209. However, housing parking spaces declined by 228.

A YouTube video produced by students in 2011 said, “Chico State currently has the lowest per capita student parking ratio of any CSU in the system.”

In 2012, a parking structure on Normal Avenue and West Second Street was built with an accommodation of 359 car parking slots, 11 motorcycle stalls and 242 for bicycles, according to the school’s Planning, Design and Construction website.

This year, the Normal Avenue parking structure has 145 faculty, staff and general parking spaces and 175 reserved spaces.

In keeping with the school’s efforts on sustainability, the report states that the parking structure produces 65 kilowatts in full solar energy and is registered with the International Living Future Institute for Net Zero Energy Buildings.

Anna Sobreviñas can be reached at [email protected] or @manilanna on Twitter.