‘Cats pass Gators in triple overtime

(3000)IMG_0133.jpg
Point Guard Jalen McFerren getting ready to attack against a San Francisco State defender Photo credit: Gustavo Ornelas

The Chico State men’s basketball team won at home in a competitive match up against San Francisco State on Friday night, with a final score of 61-59.

Junior center Tanner Giddings was taken down to the ground in the last second of the first half, but he was able to finish the game with no serious injuries. Giddings finished the game with 6 points and 1 rebound.

Chico State came into the second half with a 22-10 lead. Sophomore guard Robert Duncan extended the ‘Cats lead by making a three-pointer early in the second half. The Gators fired back keeping the Wildcats on their toes with their own three-pointer shot right after Duncan’s.

Gators’ senior forward Udun Osakue tied the game 46-46, forcing it into overtime. Osakue finished the game with 23 points.

Duncan made the first basket in overtime, followed by another shot by the ‘Cats to extend their lead. With only a minute left, the Gators did it again, tying the score 52-52 and forcing the game to go on a second overtime.

The two teams battled through, but the Wildcats were able to come away with the victory by way of Duncan, who broke the tie with only a second left in the third overtime. Duncan led the team with 13 points, to go with his 5 assists and 5 steals.

Chico State is now riding a two-game winning streak that it will look to extend in its next game on Saturday night against Sonoma State.

Breanna Barnard can be reached at [email protected] or @beeebarnyardd on Twitter.