Wildcats rally late to beat Sonoma State

CaioCalado_DSC_0329web.jpg
Chico State's Mike Rosaroso (31) facing the defense from San Francisco State's Derrick Brown (22) on Jan 16. Photo credit: Caio Calado

Both teams couldn’t seem to find the bottom of the net in the first half, but the Wildcats turned it around late to beat the Sonoma State Seawolves with a final score of 64-59 on Saturday night.

The teams headed to the locker room with Chico State up 23-20 to end the first half.

With 11:02 left in the second half, the ‘Cats went on a 13-0 run to get their biggest lead of the game.

Freshman forward Isaiah Ellis led all Chico State players with 13 points. Ellis scored six of the team’s 13 points during the streak, and added 3 rebounds and a steal.

Sonoma State went on a small run of their own, but it wasn’t enough. Junior center Tanner Giddings and senior guard Mike Rosaroso hit clutch free throws to seal the victory in the final seconds.

Saturday’s game marks Chico State’s third straight win. The ‘Cats completed a perfect home stand this weekend.

The win puts Chico at 10-5 for the year, and 7-3 in the conference. It also gives them a .500 record at home.

The Wildcats will travel to East Bay State and Monterey Bay State on Jan. 23 where they will try to keep their winning streak alive.

Nick Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.